R2K Challenge – Desktop PC
Since picking up this machine I have upgraded the CPU, graphics card and hard-drive.
The graphics card I have added is the Nvidia Geforce2 MX 32MB. Given the age of the card I removed the heat sink and re-applied some thermal paste.
I did have an issue with the 733MHZ CPU. In order to get the CPU working I had to adjust the FSB to 133MHZ, the CPU speed was recognised on boot but the machine became very unstable. Consequently I had to turn the FSB to 100MHZ meaning the CPU is now clocked at a stable 550MHZ.
Patient Zero Specifications
- Intel 440BX Motherboard – (Released 1998)
- Pentium 3 733MHZ Slot 1 – (Released 1999)
- Nvidia Geforce2 MX 32MB (Released 2000)
- 384MB of RAM
- Windows 98se
Software and Drivers
After installing Windows 98SE I then installed the following pieces of software to help with day-to-day operations and improve functionality:
- USB Mass Storage Device Drivers (download here)
- Windows 98 Unofficial Service Pack 3 (download here)
- KernelEx (download here)
- Daemon Tools
- Opera 11.50
Using archive.org I have downloaded some PC Gamer Magazines from the 90’s including the demo discs!
After a visit to CEX I picked up a selection of games including:
- The Settlers IV
- Warcraft III
- Star Trek Armada II
- Need for Speed Hot Pursuit III
- Quake 2
- Starfleet Acadamy
- Star Trek: Birth of The Federation
- Star Trek Dominion Wars
Needless to say for the next 7 days gaming will not be an issue! 🙂